Wednesday 5 December 2012

Getting Ahead in (Still) Life


This week we take a quick look at “Vanitas Still Life” by 17th century artist Aelbert Jansz van der Schoor.


That is some pretty still life.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is the opposite of life.  There was apparently a whole still-life sub-genre to remind one of the inevitability of death.  A still death painting?  Clearly they would make excellent conversation pieces to have on your living room wall.

I would also question Mr. Van der Schoor’s hobbies that he had access to a pile of skulls for his model, some of which look pretty bashed in.  Was he a grave robber?  Maybe he was actually a badass gang leader, and he painted this after a gruesome street battle as a warning to other would-be challengers to his position as master gangbanger/artist.  I like to think that the jawbone was his weapon of choice.

18 comments:

  1. An odd composition. In my family that is merely the aftermath of a decent meal ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a hungry family! We usually get through two people at most.

      Delete
  2. Maybe he was an incredibly slow painter and those skeletons were actually living people when he had started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memento mori run riot. I particularly like the tuberosity of the leg bone in the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to imagine that that is just what his desk looked like on a typical day. Paperwork and skulls, with a flower thrown in as the old-timey equivalent of a Dilbert cartoon to cheer him up.

      Delete
  4. There would have been oodles of skulls lying around in the 17th century, with all the executions and wars of religion going on. My guess is that van der Schoor couldn't afford to pay buxom ladies to pose naked for his paintings so he fobbed everyone off with those bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a stark departure from the naked buxom lady theme seen in much artwork. No bones about it.

      Delete
  5. My guess is Aelbert wasn't to be trusted around pets. "Get this stupid fruit bowl out of here! I must have skulls!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the plus side, I guess it made Christmas present selection easier for his family, if way creepier than just trying to get a new iPad.

      Delete
  6. I think he was up to some skulduggery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No question! I'm just worried about where he was doing the digging.

      Delete
  7. Maybe he just thought he was hilarious. "Still life? I'll show them 'still life!" (insert maniacal laughter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he was always the life of the party. At least he was by the *end* of the party...

      Delete
  8. Just the aftermath of another brain sucking party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters all around.

      Delete
  9. Is it wrong that I would like this to be the first thing people see when they walk into my office?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. I like to have a reminder of mortality in my office for people to see. Preferably a broadsword over the door...

      Delete